Are you in a situation where you’re not really dating someone but at the same time you feel like it’s something close to dating but not exactly dating? You and that person may be intimate, and enjoy time together but may not have a close relationship or not do things like being loyal, planning a future together, or being committed to each other. And when someone asks you about the relationship you have with that person, you may answer them by saying “it’s complicated” as you find it’s the only word that can define the situation you are in. If you relate to these, you may be in a “situationship”.
You may want to read: Is Being In A Situationship Good For Your Mental Health?
“A situationship is that space between a committed relationship and something that is more than a friendship,” explains psychotherapist Jonathan Alpert. To make it simple, a situationship stands in between friends with benefits and a committed relationship.
The idea of having a partner or being in a relationship has changed. Nowadays, people are more focused on becoming the best version of themselves and we all value our freedom the most. To put it in simple terms, we have started to prioritize our SELF. As a result of making things more open and freer, “situationship” has become the best option for people who wants to enjoy the benefits of a relationship without being in a committed relationship.
Pros and Cons of a Situationship:
Just like everything, “situationships” also has its own advantages and disadvantages.
Advantages of a Situationship;
- The biggest advantage is that there is little or no responsibility. When you’re in a situationship you don’t have to feel responsible for being committed or taking care of another person.
- And also, when you’re in a situationship, you don’t have to spend too much emotional energy on your partner. Even though you may have a great emotional connection with each other when apart, you are not worried or stressed about the partner as you are not in a committed relationship.
- Another big advantage is that you have freedom cause situationships are a grey area of relationships.
- Overall, a situationship is fun, stress-free, and a great way to enjoy the benefits of a relationship without any commitments.
You may want to read: 5 Ways To Turn A Situationship Into A Real Relationship
Disadvantages of a Situationship;
- “Feelings may arise over time!” Usually, when entering into a situationship, both parties might agree on certain things, but there’s a possibility that you might grow to want more than you both agreed for. Then you’ll tend to give way more than you receive, hoping that the situationship might turn into something more.
- “Partners can have different expectations”. Most of the time situationships are built upon achieving certain benefits to both parties. It could be anything including sexual intimacy or emotional support. Over time, you may develop certain expectations your partner doesn’t want to be committed to. And this can lead to distress, resentment, frustration, helplessness, or even depression.
- Overall, the biggest disadvantage of being in a situationship would be, that over time situationship can harm your mental health.
A situationship is ideal if you’re looking for a commitment-free and casual relationship. But it’s important to remember that situationships also can be harmful to your peace of mind later on if you expect a committed relationship with someone who’s not on the same page as you.
So, the best thing you can do to minimize all the risks of being in a situationship is to have a good conversation with your partner to be sure that you both are on the same page. Always remember, communication is the key!
Related article- 5 Ways To Turn A Situationship Into A Legit Relationship
– Is Being In A Situationship Good For Your Mental Health?
I hope you find this article helpful. I had fun writing this article for you 🥰
Don’t forget to share your thoughts on situationships in the comments. I’d love to know ❤️
Like this article? Please share it with your friends. Disclaimer: As the admin of the HappyHumaans community, I’m making my best effort in putting forth supportive material based on my knowledge, experience and passions as a psychology student in hopes that you can find simple ways to make your life better and brighter. We DO NOT REPLACE PROFESSIONAL THERAPY or any other professional services.